Body Language Basics
The ability to interpret body language is a skill that will enhance anyone’s career. It is a form of communication, and it needs to be practiced like any other form of communication. Whether in sales or management, it is essential to understand the body language of others and exactly what your own body is communicating.
Communicating with Body Language
We are constantly communicating, even when we are not speaking. Unspoken communication makes up over half of what we tell others and they tell us. It affects our work and personal relationships. Improve negotiating, management, and interpersonal skills by correctly interpreting important signals.
Learning a New Language
In many ways understanding it is like learning a foreign language. There are a few tips that make learning any language, even a nonverbal one, easier.
- Set Goals: Make sure that your goals are realistic and have specific timelines.
- Devote time to learning: Schedule time to practice. Do not rely on spare time.
- Practice daily: Hone skills by continued practice.
- Enjoy the process: You are not in school. Relax and have fun with your new skill.
The Power of Body Language
Understanding body language does more than improve relationships. You will gain insight into the thoughts and feelings of those around you. Because it is not a conscious form of communication, people betray themselves with the signals they give. It is powerful in several ways.
- It is honest: It conveys truth, even when words do not.
- Creates self-awareness: Understanding body language helps you identify your own actions that hinder success.
- Understand feelings: It shows feelings and motive such as aggression, submission, deception, etc. Use these as cues to your communication.
- Enhance listening and communication skills: Paying attention to communication indicators makes someone a better listener. Picking up on gestures and cues helps you understand what is really being said.
- Define body language.
- Understand it’s benefits and purpose of interpreting.
- Learn to interpret basic movements.
- Recognize common mistakes when interpreting.
- Understand what you are communicating.
- Practice your skills.
There are no reviews yet.