We’ve all met that dynamic, charismatic person that just has a way with others, and has a way of being remembered. The Interpersonal Skills course will help you work towards being that unforgettable person by providing communication skills, negotiation techniques, tips on making an impact, and advice on networking and starting conversations. You will also identify the skills needed in starting a conversation, moving a conversation along, and progressing to higher levels of conversation.
Words are powerful tools of communication. Indeed, word choice can easily influence the thoughts, attitudes, and behavior of the people listening to us. Similarly, proper attention to the language of others can give us insight into what it is that they are really saying, helping us to respond appropriately and effectively.
You will learn important verbal communication skills like the art of listening, asking questions, and communicating with power.
Listening and Hearing: They Aren’t the Same Thing
Most people can hear, but few can really listen.
Hearing is simply the process of perceiving sounds within our environment. Our ears pick up sound waves around us, send signals to our brain, and our brain in turn tells us what the sound is and where it is coming from.
Listening involves the extra steps of really understanding what we heard, and giving it deliberate attention and thoughtful consideration.
- Understand the difference between hearing and listening
- Know some ways to improve the verbal skills of asking questions and communicating with power.
- Understand what is ‘non-verbal communication’ and how it can enhance interpersonal relationships.
- Identify the skills needed in starting a conversation.
- Identify ways of creating a powerful introduction, remembering names, and managing situations when you’ve forgotten someone’s name.
- Understand how seeing the other side can improve skills in influencing other people.
- Understand how the use of facts and emotions can help bring people to your side.
- Identify ways of sharing one’s opinions constructively.
- Learn tips in preparing for a negotiation, opening a negotiation, bargaining, and closing a negotiation.
- Learn tips in making an impact through powerful first impressions.